5 Tips to Stage Your Home Like a Boss
So you want to sell your home quickly and for the highest price you can? Then staging, professional photos, and a top local real estate agent should be numbers 1, 2 and 3 on your list of to dos. Here are 5 tips to stage your home like a boss.
- Clean Your Home Like It’s Brand New and Austere As Possible
- Potential buyers viewing your bathrooms need to see expanses of blank, clean counter space and picture themselves, with their various knickknacks, hopefully, seeing themselves brushing their teeth.
- Anything that interrupts their musings, as they move from the foyer to the kitchen to the bathroom, is an obstacle to a potential sale.
- You absolutely do not want anything to distract your potential buyer as they fall in love with your home
- No Loud Colored Projects
- Fresh paint makes a good impression in general; however, tastes vary so widely, you can’t anticipate what a buyer might want in terms of color
- Chose from either a cool neutral (grays and whites) or warm neutral (creams and browns) color palate
- Visit open houses for new homes selling in your area and get a feel for which palate is more appealing
- The Power of the Throw
- Tie the furniture together with throws and throw pillows in matching colors and patterns, and you could save yourself the price of a new sofa.
- With older furniture, as long as you simplify it and make it look seamless, it works well
- Downplay Your Personality
- Remove family pictures or pictures with people in them
- Buyers are distracted by family pictures and unusual artwork not their own. They lose their musing about living in your home
- Empty or mostly empty closets are the rule of thumb and remove dirty laundry
- Put away jewelry and medication. They have been known to disappear during showings and open houses.
- Pack Early and Be Safety Minded
- Since you will be clearing out junk, removing family pictures and artwork, emptying closets and removing jewelry and medication, you probably will end up packed early for your move
- Box up everything and leave it in temporary storage or the garage if you have no other options. There are companies which will deliver a container to your door and store it for safekeeping until you’ve moved.
- Make sure to put a pad under rugs that slip. These days, it’s a better investment than baking cookies just before a showing
- Install the slip pads and celebrate your home’s sale by baking cookies and eating them yourself
Links to Local Home Stagers
- Moving Forward by Design
- Venus Home Decor & Staging
- Creative Concepts Home Staging & Contracting